The Tejikara Fire Festival is held on the second Saturday of every April and is said to have a history of more than 300 years.
Cascades of fire sparks rain down on men stripped to the waist who carry the portable shrine on their shoulders; great sprays of fire sparks also fly up from the portable shrine; a lot of men dance wildly around the portable shrine clanging bells and lighting firecrackers. This is a dynamic festival of sound and fire!
Link to: Tejikara Fire Festival / Summer (watch a video of the Festival)
Some aspects of the festival
- Gohei Andon (standing lanterns)
- Lanterns hanging from 20 meter-high bamboo poles are lit. It is said that the year will be rich in harvest if the lanterns can be lit without trouble.
- A portable shrine wildly swung by men under cascades of fireworks sparks.
Gunpowder contained in the portable shrine is lit by the cascades of sparks.
- Arm-held cylindrical fireworks
|Date||The second Saturday of April From around 6:30 p.m. to around 9:10 p.m.|
|Location||Tejikarao Shrine (Kuranomae, Gifu-City)|
|Access||Take Kagamigahara line at Meitetsu Gifu Station to “Tejikara” Station (takes 8 minutes, costs 230 yen/one way). Get off and walk 5 minutes.|
- Tourist Information in Gifu City:
- Feel free to contact the Gifu City Tourist Information Office when you visit Gifu City.